[Lingtyp] Query: syllable-reversing ludlings

Gussenhoven, C.H.M. (Carlos) c.gussenhoven at let.ru.nl
Mon May 18 12:07:09 UTC 2020

Dear David,

A heavy-handed stress pattern like that of Dutch has no ludlings involving orderings of syllables. Two independent argots reverse the segment strings in syllables containing full vowels (ie non-schwa). Suffixes and syllables with schwa remain.

A maximal syllable like /straks/ comes out as /skarts/ ‘in a minute’. Chimpanzee /SIm.pan.’zee/ would be /mIS.na.’pees/ and geraamte  /x@’ra:m.t@/ is /x@’ma:r.t@/ ‘skeleton’. I suspect that reversing the order of syllables is precluded by the implied change of the metrical pattern, which might make the argot unusable.

I described one of the two ludlings here
http://gep.ruhosting.nl/carlos/achteroetkalle_2014.pdf

The other one, used by IJmuiden fishermen, was more recently brought to my attention by Marc van Oostendorp and looks very similar judging by some examples.

Best wishes,
Carlos