[Lingtyp] Temporal adverbial clauses: Any references?

Bernhard Wälchli bernhard at ling.su.se
Wed May 20 13:21:53 UTC 2020

Dear Jesús

Here are a few references:

Cristofaro, S. 2003. Subordination. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Hetterle, K. 2015. Adverbial Clauses in Cross-Linguistic Perspective. Ber­lin: De Gruyter Mouton
Kortmann, B. 1997. Adverbial Subordinators. A Typology and History of Adverbial Subordinators Based on European Languages. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.
Wälchli, B. 2018/2019. ‘As long as’, ‘until’ and ‘before’ clauses: Zooming in on linguistic diversity. Baltic Linguistics 9: 141-236. http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1351829/FULLTEXT01.pdf

There are also many studies for particular languages, for instance:

Kuno, S. 1973. The Structure of the Japanese Language. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Iordanskaja, L. & I. Mel’čuk, 2009. Semantics of the Russian conjunction poka ‘while, before, until’. In: T. Berger, M. Giger, S. Kurt & I. Mendoza, Hg., Von grammatischen Kategorien und sprachlichen Weltbildern ― Die Slavia von der Sprachgeschichte bis zur Politsprache. Wiener Slawistischer Almanach. Sonderband 73, 253–262. München. http://olst.ling.umontreal.ca/pdf/IordanskajaMelchuk.POKA.pdf

There is, of course, also a huge literature in semantics, my favorite one is:

Swart, H, de. 1996. Meaning and use of not...until. Journal of Seman­tics 13, 221–263.

and the classics:

Heinämäki, O. T. 1974. Semantics of English Temporal Clauses. Ph.D. thesis. The University of Texas at Austin.
Karttunen, L. 1974. Until. Papers from the Tenth Regional Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society, 284–297. Chicago: Chicago Linguistic Society

Much generative literature also, e.g.

Del Prete, Fabio. 2008. A non-uniform semantic analysis of the Italian temporal connectives prima and dopo. Natural Language Semantics 16, 157–203.

Best wishes,
Bernhard