[Lingtyp] A terminological quandary: 'library studies'

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Tue Nov 24 09:48:49 UTC 2020

"Bookwork" is nice, but isn't there a serious problem with "fieldwork"?
Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but it seems that just as "grammar
mining" does not sound very nice (to many people's ears), "fieldwork" is
not a suitable term.

It seems that "fieldwork" derives from observational natural sciences
such as geology or biology, and it was adopted into anthropology in a
context when it was still strongly associated with archaeology and
"natural history": Populations outside the major (especially European)
civilizations were regarded as "Naturvölker" (= indigenous people close
to nature), and the term "fieldwork" fits naturally into this earlier
context.

In a modern context (where this sort of work increasingly happens via
Facebook, Zoom, etc), it seems that a term such as "primary-data
collection" or "primary linguistics" is much better.

Martin