[Lingtyp] history of linguistics question: inflection versus derivation

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Oct 5 06:48:27 UTC 2020

The distinction has been prominent in morphological description of
Australian Aboriginal languages, especially the wholly suffixing languages,
following Dixon 1972 and all his subsequent work. His criteria for the
contrast were (1) linearity — derivational suffixes precede inflections
(adopting an item-arrangement morphology model) and (2) one inflection per
word. Subsequent research has shown that both criteria are violated in
particular languages, e.g. Suffixaufnahme shows two or more case
“inflections” per word is not uncommon in Australia, and instances of
“derivation” after “inflection” have been shown to occur (e.g. Jiwarli
allows the privative ‘lacking’ “derivation” after both nominal cases and
verbal dependent clause “inflection”).

DM me if you want references or more information.

Best wishes
Peter

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 07:10, TALLMAN Adam <Adam.TALLMAN at cnrs.fr> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I was wondering if anyone is aware of any works that discuss the history
> of the use of the distinction between "inflection" and "derivation" in
> linguistics. Is there a known grammatical tradition that these concepts /
> distinctions come from? What are the
>
> oldest attestations of these concepts? Are they basically in Panini? If
> so, was the distinction adopted for other languages without question?
>

> My impression is that these concepts very much ascended to 'obvious'
> categories of general linguistics in the Indo-Europeanist / Neo-grammarian
> tradition...
>

> best,
>

> Adam

> Adam James Ross Tallman (PhD, UT Austin)
>

> ELDP-SOAS
>
> -- Postdoctorant
>

> CNRS
>
> -- Dynamique Du Langage (UMR 5596)
>

> Bureau 207, 14 av. Berthelot, Lyon (07
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/14+av.+Berthelot,+Lyon+(07?entry=gmail&source=g>
> )
>

> Numero celular en bolivia: +59163116867

Prof Peter K. Austin
Emeritus Professor in Field Linguistics, SOAS
Visiting Researcher, Oxford University
Foundation Editor, EL Publishing
Honorary Treasurer, Philological Society
www.peterkaustin.com