[Lingtyp] Epistemic possibility plus affective evaluation?

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Oct 19 16:58:22 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but Modern Hebrew has a set
of predicates that inflect like adjectives, and convey epistemic
possibility or 'is likely' but with a 'desirable' or 'undesirable' flavor:

ze *asui* likrot [it likely to.happen] 'It's possible/likely to happen
(neutral or favorable outcome).'
ze *alul* likrot [[it likely to.happen] 'It's possible/likely to happen'
(undesirable outcome)

A recent example: "The healthcare system hasn't collapsed. ze od *alul*
likrot "it's still likely to happen."

There are plenty of recent examples with *alul* that the COVID-19 epidemic
provide us with (the virus *alul* to make men sterile, or *alul* to damage
hearing).

I'm not aware of any recent treatments of this, and I'm not sure if anyone
has looked at corpora in recent times.

Eitan