[Lingtyp] Epistemic possibility plus affective evaluation?

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Tue Oct 20 09:44:48 UTC 2020

The specific variety of Spanish that I learned (Mexico/Chiapas)
has an expression "a lo mejor" which is basically an adverbial of
epistemic possibility ("perhaps"), but which seems to come with a positive
connotation ("hopefully"). But it is possible that the positive
connotation is due to my imagination, triggered by "mejor" ("better").
There are certainly native speakers of Spanish on this list who can
clarify that.

Volker

Prof. V. Gast
http://linktype.iaa.uni-jena.de/VG