[Lingtyp] Frequency of front/back, high/mid vowels

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Mon Sep 14 08:44:07 UTC 2020

On 9/14/20 10:20 AM, JOO, Ian [Student] wrote:
> Dear Sebastian,
>
> Please check phoible.org

Dear Ian,
phoible seems to confirm hypothesis 2) and 3) for types, but not 1)
(numbers are percentages):

i 92        u 88
   e 61     o 60
       a 86

(one would have to include ɔ and epsilon where there is no e/o, but I do
not know how to do this in the web interface)

Is there any information about tokens? For instance, Spanish has the
following token frequencies in texts
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frecuencia_de_aparici%C3%B3n_de_letras:

e: 13.68%
a: 12.53%
o:  8.68%
i:  6.25%
u:  3.93%

So the high vowels /i/ and /u/ are less frequent than the mid vowels /e/
and /o/, disconfirming  hypothesis 2. (This is based on graphemes, but
Spanish orthography is sufficiently phonemic).

Best wishes
Sebastian