[Lingtyp] Frequency of front/back, high/mid vowels

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:41:31 UTC 2020

Dear Sebastian,

The Spanish text-based statistics are misleading. The frequency of /e/, /a/
and /o/ is due to common inflectional suffixes (for gendered forms:
masculine o, feminine a and general e; and for verbs: first person o, and
other-persons a or e). If you want to consider "token" frequency, then the
most appropriate place might be in the lexicon, looking at roots, rather
than looking at tokens in texts because you will find an overwhelming skew
based on function words and common inflectional suffixes. (Of course you
might argue that there is some underlying reason why certain vowels might
be more likely to appear in grammaticalized forms.) For comparison, you
would find that /i/ is much more common in Italian, simply because it is a
second-person singular verb suffix and masculine plural noun suffix, while
/u/ does not serve any similarly frequent role so it would be as infrequent
as in Spanish. But Spanish and Italian have broadly similar phonology. (One
further issue in Spanish is that <i> and <u> are used as semi-vowels in
diphthongs so you'd have to decide whether you're counting that or not.
Their frequencies would be lower if you exclude that context.)

Daniel