[Lingtyp] Viewpoint and perspective

TasakuTsunoda tasakutsunoda at nifty.com
Tue Apr 6 04:27:21 UTC 2021

                                       2021.04.06

Dear Colleagues,

   I am not certain if I am allowed to make such a request on this mailing list, but if I am allowed to, would anyone please enlighten me?

My request concerns studies of viewpoint and perspective in the field of literature study. (My request does not concern works in the field of linguistics. I have found works such as those listed at the end of this posting.)

  For studies of viewpoint and perspective in the field of literature study, I made searches on the internet and found the following.

(i) Niederhoff, Burkhard. 2013. Perspective – Point of view. The living handbook of narratology (created 11 June 2011, revised 24 September 2012). (Accessed and read 5 April 2021). https://www.lhn.uni-hamburg.de/node/26.html

(ii) “Point of view” in Encyclopaedia Britannica.

(iii) “Narration” found in Wikipedia.

(iv) 25 articles, which are intended for students or beginning writers.

   Regarding (ii), if I remember correctly, when I was a student, one of my teachers advised me not to cite an article from Encyclopaedia Britannica in academic works.

   Regarding (iii), someone advised me not to cite an article from Wikipedia in academic works.

   Regarding (iv), I suppose some people would advise me not to cite these works in academic works.

   Regarding (i), it will be fine to cite this work in academic writing.

   My request is the following.

Are there any other works:
that are works in the field of literature study (not in the field of linguistics);
that provide an overview of how viewpoint and/or perspective are/is studied, and;
(c)    that can be cited in academic works?

   I should be very grateful for your advice.

Best wishes,

Tasaku Tsunoda

Examples of works on viewpoint and/or perspective in the field of linguistics

Dancygier, Barbara. 2017. Viewpoint phenomena in constructions and discourse. Glossa 2(1): 37. 1–22.

Foolen, Ad & Toshiko Yamaguchi. 2016. Perspective: Kawabata’s Beauty and Sadness and its translations into English, German, and Dutch. In Barbara Dancygier, Wei-lun Lu & Arie Verhagen (eds.), Viewpoint and the fabric of meaning, 191–213. Berlin & Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.

Lu, Wei-lun & Arie Verhagen. 2016. Shifting view points: How does that actually work across languages? An exercise in parallel text analysis. In Barbara Dancygier, Wei-lun Lu & Arie Verhagen (eds.), Viewpoint and the fabric of meaning, 169–190. Berlin & Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.

Sweetser, Eve. 2012. Introduction: Viewpoint and perspective in language and gesture, from the Ground down. In Barbara Dancygier & Eve Sweeter (eds.), Viewpoint in language[:] A multimodal perspective, 1–22. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Vandelanotte, Lieven. 2017. Viewpoint. In Barbara Dancygier (ed.), The Cambridge handbook of cognitive linguistics, 157–171. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Vanderbiesen, Jeroen. 2016. Mixed viewpoints and the quotative-reportive cline in German: Reported speech and reportive evidentiality. In Barbara Dancygier, Wei-lun Lu & Arie Verhagen (eds.), Viewpoint and the fabric of meaning, 41–91. Berlin & Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.

Verhagen, Arie. 2016. Introduction: On tools for weaving meaning out of viewpoint threads. In Barbara Dancygier, Wei-lun Lu & Arie Verhagen (eds.), Viewpoint and the fabric of meaning, 1–10. Berlin & Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.