[Lingtyp] Frustrative and 'before' clauses

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 14 20:06:28 UTC 2021

Dear all,

As you know, many languages, in particular Amazonian languages, have
frustrative markers with extended functions. One of the extended functions
of frustrative markers is to express counterfactual conditionals (Overall
2017; Olguin Martinez & Lester to appear).

I was wondering if you are aware of any Amazonian language that also
employs frustrative markers to express 'before'.

Given that *before*-clauses express situations that have not yet been
realized when the main clause situation takes place (Kortmann 1997: 84-85),
I was wondering if frustrative markers may also appear in constructions
encoding 'before'.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best,

Jesús Olguín Martínez
Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics
*University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)*
http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jesús-olguín-martínez