[Lingtyp] Final CFP and Extended Deadline: 5th American International Morphology Meeting

Sims, Andrea sims.120 at osu.edu
Sun Apr 18 00:22:43 UTC 2021

AIMM5: The 5th American International Morphology Meeting, August 26-29, 2021

Final Call for Papers

***Extended Deadline: May 1***

The Department of Linguistics at The Ohio State University is hosting the 5th American International Morphology Meeting (AIMM5), August 26-29, 2021.  The conference will be held virtually.

The theme of the conference will be Morphological Theory and Typology.  Languages display remarkable diversity in how and to what extent they make use of morphology.  Because of this, it is crucial to explore the morphological structures of a wide variety of languages, especially those that are understudied.  This is necessary to ensuring that the morphological theories that we develop are grounded in the empirical data that we observe. Conversely, linguistic theory and modeling inform our understanding of morphological diversity by allowing hypotheses about underlying causes of typological distributions to be tested. While morphological typology and morphological theory have not always been in close dialogue, we view such dialogue as important to the advancement of both fields. The conference theme is designed to highlight work that brings understudied and otherwise diverse languages to bear on morphological theory, and theory to bear on morphological typology. We encourage submissions reflecting different theoretical and methodological approaches, the latter including but not limited to fieldwork, corpus methods, experimentation, and computational modeling.

Submissions that relate to the theme are especially encouraged, although abstracts on any aspect of morphology are welcome.  Students are strongly encouraged to submit abstracts. Contributions that present novel data from lesser-studied languages, including sign languages, are especially welcome, regardless of whether they speak directly to the theme.

Invited Speakers:
Dunstan Brown<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.york.ac.uk/language/people/academic-research/dunstan-brown/__;!!KGKeukY!lB-MNzzcmQnB2TRFMoRDNfTxy6jB4nX-_WUY4EIumi54KPCDGXkmvk4H3dufRofO$>, University of York
Gabriela Caballero<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sites.google.com/view/gcaballero__;!!KGKeukY!lB-MNzzcmQnB2TRFMoRDNfTxy6jB4nX-_WUY4EIumi54KPCDGXkmvk4H3cLbrQlR$>, University of California, San Diego
Laura Kalin<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.laurakalin.com/__;!!KGKeukY!lB-MNzzcmQnB2TRFMoRDNfTxy6jB4nX-_WUY4EIumi54KPCDGXkmvk4H3Q8FCFAT$>, Princeton University
Ryan Lepic<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sites.google.com/view/ryanlepic/home__;!!KGKeukY!lB-MNzzcmQnB2TRFMoRDNfTxy6jB4nX-_WUY4EIumi54KPCDGXkmvk4H3W0_vq3W$>, Gallaudet University

Important Dates:
Abstract submission deadline: April 23, 2021  May 1, 2021
Notification of results: June 15, 2021
Conference: August 26-29, 2021

Abstract Submission:
To propose a paper (20 minutes for oral presentation + 10 minutes for questions) or poster presentation at AIMM5, upload an abstract conforming to the guidelines below to the EasyChair website (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aimm5<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aimm5__;!!KGKeukY!lB-MNzzcmQnB2TRFMoRDNfTxy6jB4nX-_WUY4EIumi54KPCDGXkmvk4H3eEgjxBq$>).

Abstract Guidelines:
1. Abstracts should not exceed one letter (or A4) page in length, have 1-inch (2.5 cm) margins on all sides, and be set in Times New Roman with a font size no smaller than 11pt, single-spaced.
2. Examples, tables, graphs, etc. and references may be included on a second page.
3. The submission should not reveal the identity of the author(s) in any way. Abstract reviewing will be strictly anonymous (double blind).
4. You can only submit one abstract for which you are first author but may submit abstracts for which you are not first author without limit.
5. Abstracts must be submitted in PDF format through EasyChair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aimm5<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aimm5__;!!KGKeukY!lB-MNzzcmQnB2TRFMoRDNfTxy6jB4nX-_WUY4EIumi54KPCDGXkmvk4H3eEgjxBq$>) by April 23, 2021 May 1, 2021.

Accommodations:
We are planning to offer live captions (CART) and/or American Sign Language interpretation, based on presenter and/or attendee need. Participants who would benefit from these services are encouraged to contact the organizers so that we can plan for appropriate accommodations.

Contact Information:
Email address: aimm5.2021 at gmail.com<mailto:aimm5.2021 at gmail.com>
Conference website: https://www.ling.ohio-state.edu/AIMM5/

Organizing committee: