[Lingtyp] Language change and foot structure

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 14:54:54 UTC 2021

According to my readings the past few nights, different dialects of Korean
appear to prefer either iambic or trochaic feet.
http://repository.tufs.ac.jp/bitstream/10108/90282/1/jaas094012_ful.pdf

My own interest here is whether foot type has an effect on the sizes of
ideophone/mimetic inventories in languages. Korean has at least 30,000
(pooling derivations and compounds) (Seoul dialect only??). Middle Korean
(and the current Seoul dialect) present iambic feet.

Jess Tauber