[Lingtyp] Double marking of the goal argument

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:06:07 UTC 2021

Dear Farhad,
If you are not limiting your use of “marking” to morphology, Mandarin Chinese has a sort of double marking of such phrases, where you often have a serial verb structure with the first verb representing the manner of motion (‘walk’, climb’, ‘run’, etc.), the second the sort of direction of motion (‘enter', ‘arrive', ‘exit'), followed by a location plus a locational noun such as ’top’, ‘bottom’, as in the following natural example:

总有蚂蚁爬到桌子上
zǒng    yǒu   mǎyǐ pá     dào   zhuōzi shàng.
always have ants climb arrive table   top
‘There are always ants climbing onto (my) table.’

Each part of the structure has a different function, so I don’t know if this counts as double marking, or just separating the marking into several components.

Hope this helps.

Randy
——
Professor Randy J. LaPolla(罗仁地), PhD FAHA
Center for Language Sciences
Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
Beijing Normal University, Zhuhai Campus
A401, Muduo Building, #18 Jinfeng Road, Zhuhai City, China