[Lingtyp] Clauses without any overt predicative content (and negation)

Bastian Persohn persohn.linguistics at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 08:42:50 UTC 2021

That’s a good point: I guess it depends on what we mean by predicative content. Assuming that PhP-expressions like ’still’ are clause-level operators (Mark is still sleeping = STILL (Mark is sleeping); see the classic discussions by König, Loebner, and the like), there is no there’s no „complete“ clause that they can have scope over. We could, of course argue that bado and awo serve as pro-predicates – but then we’d be stranded with the question of what they stand in for.

Concerning the examples from my original question: Swahili does not normally have „zero" copulae. So (1, 2) cannot mean ’it still is (p)’. One exception is that  Swahili allows for bado + infinitive, which means ’not yet V-ed’ (via ‚[be] yet to Verb‘). But this is exactly one member of the set of what could „fill the empty slot“ here, other members being negated verbs.

As for (3, 4): awo can function as a copulative ’still.COP’, but in this case the predicate would stand to the right of awo. That is, judging from Barclay’s grammar, a atransitive predicate ‚it is still a river‘ would be Awo yi. It could be that awo functions as a copulative in (3), but then the predicate is still left empty: ’the river,  it still is …’, with the process that remains to occur left unexpressed (which is a pattern also found, for instance, in Tunisian Arabic and Sango). And in (4) awo serves as an exclamation (again, a common pattern, as mentioned by other list members).

But these point brings me to what initially motivated my question: I guess the fact that the addressee needs to „fill the gap“ facilitates a negative inference (together with contextual factors, of course). In fact, nearly all examples of ’still’ meaning ’not yet / still not’ that I know of involve such „elliptical“ sentences. And I wonder if there is e some accessible discussion about similar issues somewhere.

Best,
Bastian