[Lingtyp] odd clitic behaviours

Riccardo Giomi rgiomi at campus.ul.pt
Mon Dec 6 14:45:36 UTC 2021

Dear Martin, dear all,

> (...) our "intuitions" about clitics can have no direct role in our
> science. We need clear terms, and clear claims, and reproducible methods
> for testing our claims – intuitions are often based on traditional
> stereotypes and can be left to wither away.

I emphatically agree on this: we need to be bold and open-minded in working
out new, sounder definitions, and to not let "traditional stereotypes"
constrain our reasoning.

On the other hand, the point I was trying to make is that I am concerned
with *the implications *of a definition of the clitic/affix distinction
that takes promiscuity or lack thereof as the crucial criterion: if
It. *-icchi-
*or Portuguese *-isc-* are clitics because they are promiscuous, then what
are the consequences for our analysis of the inflectional endings that come
to their right? These are not promiscuous (I am ignoring the issue of
nominal/ajectival number and gender endings here) so they should be
affixes; but on the other hand they are separated from the root by an
element that on Martin's approach should be a clitic. So, one implication
of this approach is that we should now assume that clitics can intervene
between roots and affixes -- thus, another quite huge turnaround in
grammatical categorization that would require thoughtful examination.