[Lingtyp] odd clitic behaviours

Đorđe Božović djordje.boz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 14:47:44 UTC 2021

I have entertained a similar idea of a matrix-like continuum of clitic
properties, with no "core" property, and so with relative positions rather
than absolute ones, as a possible alternative to Martin's quest for clear
definitions for crosslinguistic comparison, in my PhD on South Slavic and
Balkan clitics, which was defended earlier this year. I hesitate to mention
it because the thesis is in my native Serbo-Croatian, so it's definitely
uninteresting for the majority of subscribers to this list. But as it
popped out, and just in case anyone might read the language, here is the
reference:

Božović, Đorđe. 2021. *Klitički niz u jezicima balkanskog areala*. PhD,
University of Belgrade.

Mind that it is not the best and ultimate thesis ever, too. It does need a
thorough re-writing, and maybe one day I'll write something along those
lines in English, too. However, in the end I decided to mention it after
all because it also includes examples of clitics in spoken Slovene, which
in some contexts may be stressed and even used in absolute isolation,
forming the whole utterance, similarly to what was Alexander's question for
Quechua in the original post; as well as examples of clitics intervening
between roots and affixes, and surfacing as "mesoclitics", in Albanian.
Both of these phenomena are extensively discussed in other literature on
clitics, too (and in other languages but the Balkan ones, as well).

In addition, variations in the positioning of clitics in the presence vs
absence of a copular verb, which is also what Alexander was asking about,
are not unknown in the South Slavic clitic clusters as well, and there is a
huge and growing literature on this peculiar relationship between South
Slavic clitics and copulas/auxiliaries, mostly from the formal grammar
camp. Possibly of most interest here is the generative typological work on
Slavic and Germanic done by Krzysztof Migdalski.

I hope this helps!

Đorđe