[Lingtyp] odd clitic behaviours

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Tue Dec 7 16:12:38 UTC 2021

Many thanks, Peter, for continuing the vigorous discussion! Maybe this
time we do indeed disagree.

I think that textbooks should present a set of coherent concepts that do
not confuse students. So when Booij's (2005: 28) morphology textbook
defines a "stem" as "the word form minus its inflectional affixes",
readers would expect that there is also a definition of "inflectional
affix", but he doesn't give one – it seems that an inflectional affix is
whatever is added to a stem. So this is circular and confusing.

Since most established terms are used in a wide variety of ways,
textbook authors must make a choice anyway, and making a choice that is
coherent and avoids confusion seems the right approach to me. The same
problems arise in generative syntax, and one of the virtues of Koeneman
& Zeijlstra's (2017) "Introducing syntax" is that it is internally
coherent (even if that means that it sometimes deviates substantially
from what is commonly said; but the actual research practice is not
coherent). We probably don't want to give students the impression that
the field is working with incoherent or vague concepts – instead, we
want to introduce them to a set of mutually coherent concepts (with
definitions that are close to the actual practice), and they will
discover sooner or later that things are not that simple.

The reason I mentioned textbooks is that these are almost the only type
of work that can be expected to build a coherent sent of concepts in
linguistics. In other fields, there are nomenclature committees, or
truly authoritative works such as the /Stanford Encyclopedia of
Philosophy/. Textbooks is all we have in linguistics. (The question how
"standard" meanings arise is an interesting one; but in any event,
Bloomfield's (1933) textbook and Lyons's (1968) textbook seem to have
been highly influential in determining what usages we agree on.)

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath