[Lingtyp] Clauses without any overt predicative content (and negation)

Miestamo, Matti M P matti.miestamo at helsinki.fi
Wed Dec 8 14:01:17 UTC 2021

Dear All,

I'm not sure how relevant this is to the original query, but since Adam mentioned the Dravidian unmarked negatives, I could point out the following two papers by Christiane Pilot-Raichoor addressing the issue:

Pilot-Raichoor, Christiane. 1997. Le zéro négatif dans les conjugaisons dravidiennes. Faits de langues 10: 77–102.

Pilot-Raichoor, Christiane. 2010. The Dravidian zero negative: Conceptualisation and diachronic context of its morphogenesis. In Rara & Rarissima: Documenting the fringes of linguistic diversity, Jan Wohlgemuth and Michael Cysouw (eds.), 267–304. (Empirical Approaches to Language Typology; 46). Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

I have written on the issue of negation without overt negators from a more general typological perspective, here's the reference:
Miestamo, Matti. 2010. Negatives without negators. In Jan Wohlgemuth & Michael Cysouw (eds.), Rethinking universals: How rarities affect linguistic theory (Empirical Approaches to Language Typology 45), 169-194. Berlin/New York: Mouton de Gruyter. [prepublication version available through the link in the signature below]

Best wishes,
Matti

--
Matti Miestamo