[Lingtyp] "Double reflexive" constructions

Riccardo Giomi rgiomi at campus.ul.pt
Wed Dec 8 17:15:05 UTC 2021

Dear typologists,

I am looking for languages in which, with some predicates at least,
unambiguous expression of reflexivity is only attained by combining two
separate markers. Typically, the elements participating in such
"double-reflexive" constructions (quotes needed) belong to one of the
following, broadly-defined classes:

- a valency-decreasing "middle" marker / intransitivizer (usually, though
not necessarily a bound morpheme);

- a reflexive, personal or logophoric pronoun;

- a so-called reflexive intensifier, i.e. an element that functions like
English reflexive pronouns in appositional or adverbial position (e.g. *I
myself swept the ground / I swept the ground myself*).

Below are a few examples of possible combinations of such elements (I have
harmonized the glosses used by the various authors):

Intransitivizer + reflexive pronoun: Kuuk Thaayorre
[image: immagine.png]

Intransitivizer + personal pronoun: Hmwaveke
[image: immagine.png]

Intransitivizer + intensifier (attached to the (subject) nominal and
glossed 'SELF'): Dyirbal
[image: immagine.png]

Intransitivizer + intensifier (attached to the verb): Mezquital Otomí
[image: immagine.png]

(Gast & Siemund 2006: 368. The authors also give an example in which the
intensifier takes the longer form *sε̌hε̒ *and occurs as an unbound
adverb-like element.)

Intensifier (marked ergative, in apposition to the (subject) nominal) +
personal/logophoric pronoun (marked absolutive) : Tsakhur
[image: immagine.png]

If any of you is aware of a language in which "double marking" of
reflexivity is the only option, that would be especially helpful; but, more
generally, I am interested in all such constructions -- or possibly other,
comparable ones which I may be leaving out of the picture. (Please don't
bother signalling Germanic or Romance data like German *sich + selbst* or
Spanish *si + a si mismo* -- I am already taking those into account.)

Many thanks in advance, best wishes,
Riccardo