[Lingtyp] "Double reflexive" constructions

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:13:02 UTC 2021

I've been considering whether Yahgan me:am 'self' (emphatic) is
compositional in origin. Remember that the normal detransitivizing voice
prefix on verbs is ma(m)-. Yahgan has a suffix -(w)i:a (the /w/ showing up
in only some morphophonetic environments), meaning 'to be (lying)'.
Yahgan's aspect markers are largely based on posture verbs (some apparently
still grammaticalizing even in the mid-to-late 19th century), and we have
copular verbs with basic lexical sense of stand, sit, and lie (as well as
float (one set in the water, one in the air), all in singular, dual, and
plural forms, with a number of the plurals etymologically unrelatable (at
least at first glance) to the singulars, each of which covers a different
aspectual range. -(w)i:a is used when relatively permanent states are
involved. So I'm thinking that me:am is ma(m)- plus -i:a as infix.  Whether
this count as intensification I leave up the reader.

Best regards,
Jess Tauber

Virus-free.
www.avg.com