[Lingtyp] papers on non-uniqueness in tone and stress

Erich Round erichslists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 12:28:26 UTC 2021

Hi Adam,

I’ve enjoyed the conversations you’ve sparked here on the list recently, please keep them coming!

Thanks for raising an important topic.  I have some paper suggestions below.  I’d start by saying, though, that you might be getting formal phonologists wrong.  Generative theorists from the start were well aware of the non-uniqueness problem, and that’s one reason why they were so keen on metrics to evaluate multiple candidate grammars.  Now, that’s not to say it proved to be plain sailing, but there’s a deep appreciation of the problem buried in the theory, even if for practical purposes much theoretical work (just like much typological work) assumes only one analysis in order to get some other task completed in a finite amount of time.  In optimality theory, the notion of Richness of the base is one new-ish incarnation of attempts to deal with the matter.

Canonical Typology (Corbett 2005, Round and Corbett 2020) provides the conceptual tools for asking not just whether ‘the best analysis’ is A, B or C, but to what extent, in multiple different regards, A, B and C differ and therefore can be considered (dis)advantageous in different ways. This helps us clarify why and how multiple analyses arise in the first place. My forthcoming chapter (2021) on phonotactics in Australian languages discusses this with respect to complex segments; Kwon & Round (2015) discuss it with respect to phonaesthemes; my review (2017) of Gordon’s Phonological Typology (2016) discusses the idea of doing typology over a distribution of possible analyses (which I term ‘factorial analysis’) and points out some places where Gordon’s own work covertly does this when confronted with non-uniqueness. Parncutt (2015) applies the idea to reduplication, and a current PhD student of mine, Ruihua Yin presented some of her fascinating results regarding sonority sequencing at the Australian Linguistics Society conference in December; her thesis should be finished early this year, and will be a major undertaking in this kind of typology. Round (2019) discusses how I addressed the issue of non-uniqueness when compiling a typologically nuanced set of 400 Australia phoneme inventories for Phoible. Natalia Kuznetsova’s work (2019) is relevant to prosody and responds to Hyman’s (2006) classic paper. Other serious discussions of the issue from various angles, typically very thoughtful and some quite in-depth are: Hockett 1963, Lass 1984, Simpson 1999, Hyman 2007, 2008, 2017, Dresher 2009, van der Hulst 2017, Kiparksy 2018.

Best,
Erich

Corbett, Greville G. 2005. “The Canonical Approach in Typology.” In Linguistic Diversity and Language Theories, edited by Zygmunt Frajzyngier, Adam Hodges, and David S Rood, 25–49. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
Dresher, B. Elan. 2009. The Contrastive Hierarchy in Phonology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Gordon, Matthew K. 2016. Phonological Typology. Oxford University Press.
Hockett, Charles F. 1963. “The Problem of Universals in Language.” In Universals of Language, edited by Joseph Greenberg, 1–29.
Hyman, Larry. 2006. “Word-Prosodic Typology.” Phonology 23: 225–57.
Hyman, Larry M. 2007. “Where’s Phonology in Typology?” Linguistic Typology 11: 265–71.
Hyman, Larry M. 2008. “Universals in Phonology.” The Linguistic Review 25: 83–137.
Hyman, Larry M. 2017. “What (Else) Depends on Phonology?” In Dependencies in Language, edited by Nicholas Enfield, 141–58.
Kiparsky, Paul. 2018. “Formal and Empirical Issues in Phonological Typology.” In Phonological Typology, edited by Larry M. Hyman and Frans Plank, 54–106. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton.
Kuznetsova, Natalia. 2019. What Danish and Estonian can show to a modern word-prosodic typology. In Goedemans, R., Heinz, J., & van der Hulst, H. (Eds.). The study of word stress and accent: Theories, methods and data. CUP.
Kwon, Nahyun, and Erich R. Round. 2015. “Phonaesthemes in Morphological Theory.” Morphology 25 (1): 1–27.
Lass, Roger. 1984. “Vowel System Universals and Typology: Prologue to Theory.” Phonology Yearbook 1: 75–111.
Parncutt, Amy. 2015. “Towards a Phonological Typology of Reduplication in Australian Languages.” Honours Thesis, University of Queensland.
Round, Erich R. 2017. “Review of Gordon, Matthew K. Phonological Typology, OUP 2016.” Folia Linguistica 51 (3): 745–55.
Round, Erich R. 2019. “Australian Phonemic Inventories Contributed to PHOIBLE 2.0: Essential Explanatory Notes.” https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3464333.
Round, Erich R. forthcoming 2021. “Phonotactics.” In Oxford Guide to Australian Languages, edited by Claire Bowern. Oxford: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.23022.13120
Round, Erich R., and Greville G. Corbett. 2020. “Comparability and Measurement in Typological Science: The Bright Future for Linguistics.” Linguistic Typology 24 (3): 489–525.
Simpson, Adrian P. 1999. “Fundamental Problems in Comparative Phonetics and Phonology: Does UPSID Help to Solve Them.” In Proceedings of the 14th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, 1:349–52. Berkeley: University of California.
Van der Hulst, Harry. 2017. “Phonological Typology.” In The Cambridge Handbook of Linguistic Typology, edited by Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald and Robert MW Dixon, 39–77. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.