[Lingtyp] papers on non-uniqueness in tone and stress

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Fri Feb 5 17:23:52 UTC 2021

Thanks, Erich! Yes, it's true that comparative concepts "do not address
the issue of non-unique analysis", because they are not about analysis,
but about classification.

Linguists often conflate these two things – they say things like "I
/analyze/ phenomenon X as Y", where "Y" is a category known from some
other language. But this works only if Y is assumed to be an innate
building block.

So if one invokes phenomena that are also found in other languages, one
should say "I /classify/ X as Y". And I think that classification can
and should be unique (unlike analysis), because the classificatory
categories are defined in such a way that they apply equally everywhere.
(They are "cookie-cutters" whose shape and size is not dependent on the
dough, to use Erich's apt metaphor.)

What Round (2019) apparently attempts to do is to have it both ways:
"carve languages at their joints", but in a way that still allows
comparison, by "choosing judiciously" among different (equally possible)
analyses. I fear that such "judicious choices" may introduce too much
subjectiveness (criteria selection bias, as Tallman 2021 calls it:
https://ling.auf.net/lingbuzz/005720).

Erich is absolutely right that by choosing "cookie-cutter"-type
comparative concepts (e.g. WALS-type category-like concepts, or parallel
text passages, or Nijmegen-style visual stimuli), one incurs "the cost
of losing sight of the systems being characterised" – except that
"losing sight" suggests that one could do both things simultaneously.

I'm not sure whether there is a "growing consensus", though. I replied
to Himmelmann's 2019 paper here: https://dlc.hypotheses.org/2447, and I
will reply to the critical comments on my "General linguistics" paper
(mostly by generative linguists such as David Adger:
https://ling.auf.net/lingbuzz/005691) next month. It still seems to me
that the main lack of consensus is between advocates of innate building
blocks and everyone else.

Martin

Am 05.02.21 um 08:37 schrieb Erich Round:

> [...]
>     Typology/ 11: 265–71.
>
>     Hyman, Larry M. 2008. “Universals in Phonology.” /The Linguistic
>     Review/ 25: 83–137.
>
>     Hyman, Larry M. 2017. “What (Else) Depends on Phonology?” In
>     /Dependencies in Language/, edited by Nicholas Enfield, 141–58.
>
>     Kiparsky, Paul. 2018. “Formal and Empirical Issues in Phonological
>     Typology.” In /Phonological Typology/, edited by Larry M. Hyman
>     and Frans Plank, 54–106. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton.
>
>     Kuznetsova, Natalia. 2019. What Danish and Estonian can show to a
>     modern word-prosodic typology. In Goedemans, R., Heinz, J., & van
>     der Hulst, H. (Eds.). The study of word stress and accent:
>     Theories, methods and data. CUP.
>
>     Kwon, Nahyun, and Erich R. Round. 2015. “Phonaesthemes in
>     Morphological Theory.” /Morphology/ 25 (1): 1–27.
>
>     Lass, Roger. 1984. “Vowel System Universals and Typology: Prologue
>     to Theory.” /Phonology Yearbook/ 1: 75–111.
>
>     Parncutt, Amy. 2015. “Towards a Phonological Typology of
>     Reduplication in Australian Languages.” Honours Thesis, University
>     of Queensland.
>
>     Round, Erich R. 2017. “Review of Gordon, Matthew K. Phonological
>     Typology, OUP 2016.” /Folia Linguistica/ 51 (3): 745–55.
>
>     Round, Erich R. 2019. “Australian Phonemic Inventories Contributed
>     to PHOIBLE 2.0: Essential Explanatory Notes.”
>     https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3464333
>     <https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3464333>.
>
>     Round, Erich R. forthcoming 2021. “Phonotactics.” In /Oxford Guide
>     to Australian Languages/, edited by Claire Bowern. Oxford: Oxford
>     University Press. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.23022.13120
>
>     Round, Erich R., and Greville G. Corbett. 2020. “Comparability and
>     Measurement in Typological Science: The Bright Future for
>     Linguistics.” /Linguistic Typology/ 24 (3): 489–525.
>
>     Simpson, Adrian P. 1999. “Fundamental Problems in Comparative
>     Phonetics and Phonology: Does UPSID Help to Solve Them.” In
>     /Proceedings of the 14th International Congress of Phonetic
>     Sciences/, 1:349–52. Berkeley: University of California.
>
>     Van der Hulst, Harry. 2017. “Phonological Typology.” In /The
>     Cambridge Handbook of Linguistic Typology/, edited by Alexandra Y.
>     Aikhenvald and Robert MW Dixon, 39–77. Cambridge: Cambridge
>     University Press.
>
>     *From: *Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org>
>     <mailto:lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org> on behalf of
>     TALLMAN Adam <Adam.TALLMAN at cnrs.fr> <mailto:Adam.TALLMAN at cnrs.fr>
>     *Date: *Thursday, 4 February 2021 at 9:20 pm
>     *To: *VAN DE VELDE Mark <Mark.VANDEVELDE at cnrs.fr>
>     <mailto:Mark.VANDEVELDE at cnrs.fr>,
>     "lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org"
>     <mailto:lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>
>     <lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>
>     <mailto:lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>
>     *Subject: *Re: [Lingtyp] papers on non-uniqueness in tone and stress
>
>     Thanks, yes, I've read this paper.
>
>     Adam
>
>     Adam James Ross Tallman (PhD, UT Austin)

Martin Haspelmath