[Lingtyp] homeostatic property clusters

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 11 15:37:40 UTC 2021

Dear All,
It's been interesting to read today's exchanges on these themes but I would counsel against over-emphasising the shared properties of the frameworks labelled here as 'generative'. It's true that they are all generative in the mathematical sense that they aim to provide an explicit means of generating a potentially infinite set of strings or sentences. However, there are many important differences between them. Thus, among current models, only what Martin calls C-generative ones are derivational and hence allow movement from head to head. And it is only on a movement-based account that it makes sense to come up with constructs like vP, which have no analogues in HPSG or LFG. More generally, approaches such as these make only minimal use of functional categories whereas they have proliferated within Minimalism, particularly in its cartographic and nanosyntactic instantiations. In addition, the latter make free use of null categories, which are kept to a minimum in other frameworks and indeed are forbidden as a matter of principle in Role-and-Reference Grammar. And while it is true that the traditional constructs 'subject', 'object', as Adam says, do not figure as part of say HPSG or RRG or the variants of categorial grammar that I am familiar with, they are of course a core part of LFG. Nor is it the case that there is necessarily a strict boundary between these approaches and construction-based models. A clear case in point is Sag's Sign-Based Construction Grammar (SBCG) which is just as formal and generative as HPSG but which aims to take constructions as well as categories into account. I could go on, but I hope the general point is clear. There are many frameworks available and each has been developed with a specific theoretical rationale and justification in mind, and we should not too hastily lump them together.
Best
 Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA MAE
Professor Emeritus of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Linguistics & English Language
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester