[Lingtyp] Complex Source constructions

Maja Robbers maja.robbers at lingfil.uu.se
Tue Feb 16 12:07:56 UTC 2021

Dear typologists,
I am interested in finding more examples of the following construction type, typically involving (i) a locative/Place/positional verb and (ii) one or several Goal-type verbs, both of which are combined to express a spatial SOURCE meaning, cf.:
Choctaw [Broadwell 2006: 359]
Obah-at

m-ako

aa-hikii-t

iya-h.

rain-NOM

there-CON:ACC

LOC-stand-PTCPL

go-TNS

‘The rain started off over there.’

Manambu [Aikhenvald 2008: 151, 282]
[wun-a

ta:kw

aləm

kwa-lə-k]

[wa-yakə-gur-ək]

ya-kwa

I-LK

wife

DEM.DIST+F.SG+LOC

stay-3F.SG-CPL.DS

say-throw-2PL-CPL.DS

come-IMP.3+F.SG

‘Get my wife to come from there’ (lit. ‘My wife having stayed there, you order (lit. say-throw) her: may she come’)

Abui [Kratchovíl 2007: 356]
fala

mi-a

yaa!

house

be.in-DUR

go

‘go from the house!’ (lit. ‘be in the house, go!’)

Similar patterns seem to exist, for example, in Mian and in Ò̩ko̩. Please kindly point me to further data. Also, I will be happy to learn if there is any literature specifically on this.

All the best,
Maja

Maja Robbers
PhD student in Linguistics
Department of Linguistics and Philology
Uppsala University
maja.robbers at lingfil.uu.se<mailto:maja.robbers at lingfil.uu.se>
+4618-471 1345

När du har kontakt med oss på Uppsala universitet med e-post så innebär det att vi behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur vi gör det kan du läsa här: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

E-mailing Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. For more information on how this is performed, please read here: http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/data-protection-policy