[Lingtyp] To write or not to write the examples

William Croft wcroft at unm.edu
Sun Feb 28 16:49:01 UTC 2021

But in typology most data is not original to the researcher (your tense-aspect questionnaire work being an honorable exception of course; but much typological work is based on reference grammars). One can still learn something from single examples, not least how the author interpreted the example as instantiating the category they claim it does.

My reaction is partly influenced by recently having to look more carefully at Leon Stassen's monograph on predicative possession (2009) for something slightly different from what he was doing with the data. His book is very long because it includes examples of the phenomenon he was studying for every language in his (large) sample. But it was extremely useful to have all that data there from all the languages in his sample, even if they were all from reference grammars. Only rarely did I feel the need to track down the original source (and his specific page citations -- another essential thing -- made that much easier to do).

Best wishes,
Bill