[Lingtyp] New name for "Mainland Northeast Asia"

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 3 20:11:03 UTC 2021

"Inner" and "outer" convey an implicit hierarchy: some are in and some are
out; some are central and some are peripheral.
I suggest a simple, objective solution, avoiding the repetition of names of
compass directions, and avoiding what may
be seen as value judgments: Boreal Northeast Asia and Austral Southeast
Asia -- i.e., North and South, using Latin terms.
I don't think these terms are opaque: "Boreal" will, for some people, evoke
"Aurora Borealis," the Northern Lights;
"Austral" will evoke southerly geography, as in Austronesia and Australia.

Dan Slobin

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 3:28 AM JOO, Ian [Student] <ian.joo at connect.polyu.hk>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> (I’m sorry if no one cares, but just for the update)
> Although no one suggested any alternatives, I gave it a thought and
> changed the terms “Mainland Northeast Asia” to “Inner Northeast Asia” (as
> opposed to “Outer Northeast Asia”, i. e. the rest of Northeast Asia).
> Below is a visualized map of Inner and Outher Northeast Asia.
>

> From Hong Kong,
> Ian
> On 31 Dec 2020, 6:13 PM +0800, JOO, Ian [Student] <
> ian.joo at connect.polyu.hk>, wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> In my doctoral research, I refer to the lingistic area consisting of
> Korea, Mongolia, and Northeast China (but not Japan or Russian Far East) as
> "Mainland Northeast Asia."
> But this name is problematic, since Siberia is just as continental (part
> of "mainland") as well, and I don't intend to include Siberia.
> Because of this, I have been thinking of a better name for this area.
> The best one I can think of is *Astragalia, *from the name of the herb
> astragalus, which is native to Korea, Northeast China, Mongolia, and
> Southern Siberia.
> The downside of this fancy name is that, upon hearing it, whoever not
> familiar with herbalism will have no idea where it points to, without
> further explanation.
> Are there any other name candidates you can think of? If so, I would
> welcome all suggestions.
>
> From Hong Kong,
> Ian
>

> *Disclaimer:*
>
> *This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
> information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not
> the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the
> sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University)
> immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or
> the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be
> unlawful.*
>
> *The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or
> quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any
> views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not
> necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no
> liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any
> party as a result of the use of such information.*
>

> *Disclaimer:*
>
> *This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
> information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not
> the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the
> sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University)
> immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or
> the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be
> unlawful.*

> [...]

*<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> *

*Dan I. Slobin *

*Professor Emeritus of Psychology and Linguistics*

*University of California, Berkeley*

*email: slobin at berkeley.edu <slobin at berkeley.edu>*

*https://danslobin.academia.edu/ <https://danslobin.academia.edu/>*

*address: 2323 Rose St., Berkeley, CA 94708*

*I acknowledge that the UC-Berkeley campus is on the traditional, *

*ancestral, and unceded land of the Ohlone people. *

*[image: Chochenyo Ohlone - Reviving Lost Languages]*