[Lingtyp] New name for "Mainland Northeast Asia"

Hilario de Sousa hilario at bambooradical.com
Mon Jan 4 17:11:24 UTC 2021

Your current range of languages looks like that you're looking for a
linguistic area that is centered around the North China Plain / Lower
Yangtze Plain. (Which you are more than welcome to do.)

Based on your first e-mail, it seems that you are (were?) more interested
in the Eastern Steppes + Korea. I think what Brigitte meant was that it
would be a shame if you don't include any languages at all from Siberia,
especially if you are more focused on the Eastern Steppes + Korea.

(Just thinking to myself: if I do a study centered on the Eastern Steppes,
I think I would a) include many languages of Siberia; b) go as far south as
the Yangtze river basin, possibly also Min, given their typological
Wu-ness, but I would leave out the Pearl river basin and further south if I
am short of time.)

Whichever path you choose, I look forward to your results!
Hilário