[Lingtyp] STaPs17 Call for Papers

Naomi Peck naomi.peck at linguistik.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Jan 5 11:34:54 UTC 2021

Dear all,

We would appreciate if you could circulate this call to PhD students in the early stages of their project; we hope to host many peers online this coming April.

Best wishes,
STaPs17 Team

---

17th Linguistics Conference for PhD Students (17. Sprachwissenschaftliche Tagung für Promotionsstudierende)

Meeting Description:

STaPs is a conference by doctoral students for doctoral students. Unlike most scientific conferences, STaPs is centred on exploring methodological challenges encountered in the ‘before’ and ‘during’ of the PhD, rather than the content and preliminary results of PhD research. As such, STaPs is particularly suited to graduate students in the initial phase of their PhD programme.

We welcome presentations on empirically oriented projects from all areas of linguistics (theoretical and descriptive linguistics; psycholinguistics; neurolinguistics; sociolinguistics; computational linguistics; historical linguistics).

Junior Professor Dr. Adriana Hanulikova (Uni Freiburg) will give a keynote.

STaPs17 Freiburg will be held virtually on the 23rd and 24th of April 2021.

Call for Papers:

Please send your abstracts to staps17 at linguistik.uni-freiburg.de by no later than midnight CET January 31 2021. Please write Abstract submission, (Name of author(s)), (Title of talk) in the subject line. You will receive a confirmation email upon the receipt of your abstract within a week. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please send us a short message to make sure that we received your abstract.

Abstracts should be written in English or German, and should not exceed 500 words (inclusive of references and examples). Notification of acceptance will be sent by the end of February at the latest. Please note that submitting an abstract does not automatically count as registration for the conference.

Oral presentations should last 20 minutes, with a further 20 minutes for discussion. The focus should be primarily on methodological issues.

If you are interested in holding a workshop on linguistic methodology, please send an email to staps17 at linguistik.uni-freiburg.de by December 31 2020. Please write Workshop submission, (Name of author(s)), (Title of workshop) in the subject line. These workshops should last between 60-90 minutes and should be relevant to doctoral students. Possible topics could include data analysis, thesis writing techniques or reference management.

Further information regarding registration, the programme and our privacy policy can be found on the conference homepage: [https://www.linguistik.uni-freiburg.de/17-staps-2021](https://www.linguistik.uni-freiburg.de/17-staps-2021.).

We look forward to hosting you virtually in Freiburg!

A German version of this call is available at [https://linguistlist.org/issues/31/31-3880.html](https://linguistlist.org/issues/31/31-3880.html***).