[Lingtyp] languages where 'able, can' and 'until, up to' are polysemous/homophonous

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:23:09 UTC 2021

Dear Ellen,
another common source for both meanings can be "arrive at, reach": the
World Lexicon of Grammaticalization by Kuteva et al. (2019: 63-64) contains
two relevant grammaticalization paths, namely
*arrive* (‘arrive at’, ‘reach’) > (2) *pi-possibility (Ability)* - with
examples from Koranko, Mandarin Chinese
and
*arrive *(‘arrive at’, ‘reach’) > (4) *until (temporal)* - with examples
from Sinitic languages, also Khmer, Zande, Bulu, Kikuyu, Tswana

Best,
Timur Maisak