[Lingtyp] languages where 'able, can' and 'until, up to' are polysemous/homophonous

LIU Danqing liudanq at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 04:20:45 UTC 2021

 Dear Ian and Ellen:

  I feel it is difficult to get the 'able'  meaning from dào 到 in Mandarin.

  'V1de V2' is a construction exclusively for ability / possibility, and any verbs occurring in this construction will convey the meaning of able or can.
  chi1 de wan2   eat de  finish   can finish the food
  pa2 de  shang4 climb de  up       can climb up
  zou3 de  jin4  walk  de  enter   can walk in
We cannot say that all words occurring as V2  denote ability or possibility.
  Danqing