[Lingtyp] List of ideophones in any language

Dingemanse, Mark Mark.Dingemanse at mpi.nl
Tue Jan 12 20:19:18 UTC 2021

Interesting question. I don't have the impression that lists of ideophones are rarer than, say, list of verbs or nouns — in fact it is slightly more common to have a paper about ideophones that includes a list of items than to have the same for verbs or nouns. Which is to say, 1) beware assumptions of completeness: often such lists are presented without any information about elicitation methods or representativeness; 2) dictionaries remain the best place to find them in great numbers.

I take it you're looking for things like this (all of these include at least 50 ideophones/expressives/mimetics):

* Blench, Roger. 2013. Mwaghavul Expressives. In Tourneux, Henry (ed.), Chadic Linguistics 8, 53–75. Köln: Rüdiger Köppe.

* Dhoorre, Cabdulqaadir Salaad & Tosco, Mauro. 1998. 111 Somali Ideophones. Journal of African Cultural Studies 11(2). 125–156.

* Gerner, Matthias. 2005. Expressives in Kam (Dong): A Study in Sign Typology (Part II). Cahiers de Linguistique Asie Orientale 34(1). 25–67.
* Kruspe, Nicole. 2004. A grammar of Semelai. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
* Mouélé, Médard. 1993. Les ideophones en Wanzi: étude préliminaire. Pholia 8. 181–206.
* Nakagawa, Hirosi. 2013. G|ui ideophones: work in progress. Asian and African Languages and Linguistics 8. 99–121.

I'll get in touch off-list to share PDFs and some more thoughts.

Very best,

Mark

--
Mark Dingemanse, PhD
Associate Professor, Language & Communication