[Lingtyp] Grammatcalization of 'road/way/path'.

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu Jan 14 21:28:20 UTC 2021

In Hebrew, the noun /švil/ 'path', preceded by the instrumental/locative
proclitic /bi=/, yields /bišvil/, which is the most common way of
expressing benefactive 'for'.

(In really colloquial slang, /bišvil /as a complete utterance, with
stress shift from final to penultimate, can also be interpreted as a WH
question 'What for?')
//

David

On 14/01/2021 21:10, Dmitri Sitchinava wrote:
> Dear typologists.
> Me and my colleague are interested in grammaticalization patterns with
> nouns meaning 'road/way/path'.
>
> In Svorou (1994) various examples of grammaticalization into spatial
> grams are provided, but examples beyond the spatial domain are
> probably even more interesting.
> The pattern 'way/matter' is also well-known, but to give you a few
> more examples: English intensifier /way/ too, French /être en voie de/
> and Swedish /på väg att/ (~to be about to), German /wegen/ 'because
> of'. The famous /way/-construction (/to V one's way/) is also worth
> mentioning.
>
> We would appreciate it if you could help us to collect more data so
> that we could get a more diverse sample and would not miss some
> potentially interesting patterns.
>
> Best
> Dmitri

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091