[Lingtyp] Grammatcalization of 'road/way/path'.

Mathias Jenny mathias.jenny at uzh.ch
Fri Jan 15 08:52:41 UTC 2021

Dear Dmitri

Shan (Tai-Kadai, Myanmar) has *táŋ* 'way between two places, road' with
the extended meanings 'antecedent, way, means, cause, raeson'. This noun is
also used as nominalizing prefix on verbs, resulting in action/quality and
object (but never subject/actor) nominalization (*tǎŋ-kǐn *'food',
*táŋ-cɐ́ŋ* 'hatred', *táŋ-mɐj* 'heat, temperature', etc., from the verbs
*kǐn* 'to eat', *cɐ́ŋ* 'to hate', *mɐj* 'be hot' respectively). This
prefix is productive and also occurs with (recent) Burmese loans. In
closely related Thai, the corresponding noun *tʰaːŋ* does not have this
function, but also serves as a locative/proximative preposition.

Best wishes
Mathias

*www.mathiasjenny.ch <http://www.mathiasjenny.ch> *
*www.mathiasjenny.com <http://www.mathiasjenny.com>*