[Lingtyp] Tonal inventories: High vs Extra-High

ARNOLD Laura Laura.Arnold at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 27 15:06:01 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues,

Does anyone know how frequent two-tone inventories contrasting only High and Extra-High are? I’m working with data from a language which has an inventory that can possibly be analysed this way (the two tones also contrast with toneless syllables). I suspect this is quite an unusual inventory, cross-linguistically – it would be helpful to confirm this. I would also be interested to hear about similar examples elsewhere in the world.

Many thanks,
Laura

~~~
Laura Arnold – British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow
laura-arnold.org<https://www.laura-arnold.org/>

Room 1.13, Dugald Stewart Building
School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences
University of Edinburgh