[Lingtyp] Tonal inventories: High vs Extra-High

ARNOLD Laura Laura.Arnold at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 27 15:25:05 UTC 2021

Dear Ian,

An excellent question. The labels are phonetically motivated: toneless syllables are generally realised with mid pitch (not low), High syllables have higher pitch than this, and Extra-High higher than High. (Low pitch seems to be involved in phrase-final boundary marking on toneless syllables.) I haven't carried out a systematic analysis yet, but the Extra-High syllables are realised with an unusually high pitch to my ears, compared with what I'm used to in the area (Raja Ampat, Indonesia).

All the best,
Laura