[Lingtyp] Tonal inventories: High vs Extra-High

Sandra Auderset sandrauderset at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 15:27:32 UTC 2021

Hi Laura,

I think your question as is can’t really be answered, because (as Ian is hinting at) tone systems can’t be directly compared. Different researchers will analyze the same language differently (depending on their theories and frameworks etc.), so you might end up with the same system being described as high vs. extra-high by one researcher and mid vs. high by another. In my experience (working with Mixtecan languages), researchers quite often disagree about how many tonemes there are or whether a system should be analyzed as having a tone-less unit or not, because these are just tricky questions.

So maybe it would help to add some detail about the system you are describing - the distribution of the tones, the average pitch levels, etc. depending on what exactly you are interested in. Then it would be easier to see for others whether they are familiar with such a system regardless of the labels attached to the tone levels.

All the best,
Sandra

—
Sandra Auderset
PhD Candidate | [she/her]
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
MPI for Evolutionary Anthropology
&
Department of Linguistics
University of California Santa Barbara