[Lingtyp] Definition of “personal pronoun"

Guillaume Segerer guillaume.segerer at cnrs.fr
Tue Jul 6 10:05:46 UTC 2021

Dear all

The following may be trivial considerations, but :

- the expression "personal pronoun" contains the word "pronoun", which
in principle means an element that stands for a noun but that is not a
(proper) noun (thus excluding brother, Dad, Mum, Ian etc.); the word
"personal" evokes what we generally consider as "persons", i.e. speech
act participants as well as "3rd persons".

- there is a kind of tradition to limit the notion of "person" to human
beings. This is in contradiction with the fact that "it" may be
considered a personal pronoun (I would simply call it a pronoun). This
tradition is especially useful in noun class languages, where 'it' can
have many different forms. In many of these languages, the 3rd person
animate/human behaves differently from others in at least a few contexts.

- in many descriptions, one find personal indices included in the
"personal pronouns" chart. Despite the fact that these are not really
pronouns, it is again useful to present the whole paradigms of personal
markers. Therefore, the expression "personal markers" is more
appropriate here.

- the question of delimiting personal pronouns from demonstratives does
not seem that difficult at first sight: demonstratives may modify nouns,
whereas personal pronouns may not. In some languages of course, there
may be no difference between possessive pronouns and possessive
modifiers, but that can be viewed as a case of polyfunctionality.

Best,

Guillaume

*Guillaume Segerer*