[Lingtyp] Definition of “personal pronoun"

Chao Li chao.li at aya.yale.edu
Sun Jul 11 15:22:56 UTC 2021

So this discussion once again shows that different researchers use the same
linguistic term to mean different things. I personally see this as a
hindrance to linguistic progress. If we have to spend so much time and
energy and expend so many words and pages (and so much ink) to define the
terms used in the paper or book to avoid misunderstanding, it tells us that
something is missing or even wrong. For the linguistics science to advance
more quickly and rigorously, for better communication and collaboration
among linguists, and for better crosslinguistic and typological studies, I
personally think that Martin's suggestion of a terminology committee in
earlier communications is important and definitely worth more
sufficient consideration by the linguistic community. As a committee,
obviously any definition of a linguistic term requires discussion, debate,
and some consensus. As a committee, it can be very inclusive and have
members from different subfields and from different areas.

Back to pronouns and personal pronouns, I'm not sure about other
colleagues' judgments but I feel that most publications use pronouns to
mean a class of words and to refer to words (and free forms) only and I
certainly welcome corrections.

Best regards,
Chao