[Lingtyp] Position of before-clauses

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 12 02:44:22 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.

As you know,  it is expected that *before*-clauses occur postposed to the
main clause (e.g. *I left before she arrived*). This stems from the fact
that they refer to a situation that occurs posterior to the one in the main
clause (Diessel 2008: 470). However, the position of the *before*-clause
tends to be non-iconic in many languages of my sample (e.g. *before she
arrived*, *I left*).

I was wondering if you know any languages in which the *before*-clause can
only occur preposed to the main clause (e.g. *before she arrived*, *I left*).
That is, are there any languages in which *before*-clauses only show
non-iconic order? Any readings that have explored this aspect?

Thank you very much in advance.

Jesús Olguín Martínez
Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics
*University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)*
http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jesús-olguín-martínez