[Lingtyp] Before-constructions

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sun Jul 18 23:46:50 UTC 2021

Hi,

Am I missing something here?  Consider

(1) John ate before leaving
(2) John ate before he left

Surely in both of the above sentences, there IS an implication that John
actually left.

In terms of whether the two states of affairs take place, I don't see a
difference between the above and the following:

(3) John ate and then left

David

On 19/07/2021 02:01, Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Temporal construction expressing precedence (a.k.a.
> /before/-constructions) consist of a sequence of two clauses in which
> the main state of affairs happens before the dependent state of
> affairs (Kortmann 1997: 84-85; Cristofaro 2003: 159). The dependent
> state of affairs in a /before/-construction may take place at a
> subsequent time point. However, there is no implication about whether
> or not it actually takes place (Cristofaro 2003: 62).
>
> In my sample, there are various languages that use a specialized
> clause-linkage device to explicitly indicate that the dependent state
> of affairs in a /before/-construction actually takes place.
>
> I would be interested in hearing more about languages that have a
> clause-linking device that explicitly indicate this type of information.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Best,
> --
> Jesús Olguín Martínez
> Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics
> /University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)/
> http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jesús-olguín-martínez
> <http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jes%C3%BAs-olgu%C3%ADn-mart%C3%ADnez>

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091