[Lingtyp] Additional functions of connectives

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Mon Mar 15 01:46:39 UTC 2021

Dear Jesús — You are presumably aware of this, but since you didn’t mention it (possibly because it doesn’t concern adverbial clauses, but pragmatically overlapping alternative construction types): in the literature on switch reference and clause chaining, it has been noted that there is a nexus between same-subject marking and perfectivity/sequential ordering and between different-subject marking and imperfectivity/temporal overlap. One classic (yet to my knowledge never published) read on these patterns is the following working paper by Müller-Bardey (1988):

http://publikationen.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/frontdoor/index/index/docId/25161

(There’s a link to a PDF in the top right corner.)

There must be newer literature on this phenomenon that I’m not aware of.

Best — Juergen

> On Mar 13, 2021, at 1:39 PM, Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez <olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>

> As you know, adverbial clause-linking devices (e.g. ‘when’, ‘after’, ‘until’) are primarily used to establish a semantic relation between two or more situations. However, adverbial clause-linking devices may bear additional functions beside the specific relation they encode (e.g. they may function as switch-reference markers, information structure markers, etc.). To the best of my knowledge, Mauri & Giacalone Ramat (2015) and Mauri (2016) have explored the range of additional functions of devices expressing ‘or’. However, the additional functions of adverbial clause-linking devices are unexplored territory. In the languages of my sample, I have noticed that temporal adverbial clause-linking devices may bear additional functions beside the specific relation they encode. A case in point comes from ‘and then’ devices. They may function as pause-fillers, they may indicate same-subject and different-subject, they may indicate a change of scene, they may express whether a situation is expected or unexpected, and they may express different amounts of time between situations, among others.
>

> I was wondering if you are aware of any research that has explored the additional function of temporal adverbial clause-linking devices. I was also wondering if you are aware of any languages in which devices expressing when-relations, while-relations, before-relations, after-relations, and until-relations have developed additional functions beside the specific relation they encode.
>

> Thank you very much in advance.
>

> Best,
>

> --
> Jesús Olguín Martínez
> Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics
> University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
> http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jesús-olguín-martínez
>
> References
> Mauri, Caterina. 2016. Connectives beyond connecting: converging evidence in the analysis of disjunction. Paper presented at the 2nd Usage-Based Linguistics Conference, Tel Aviv University .
> Mauri, Caterina & Anna Giacalone Ramat. 2015. Piuttosto che: dalla preferenza all’esemplificazione di alternative. Cuadernos de Filología Italiana 20: 49-72.

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours will be held by Zoom. Email me to schedule a call at any time. I will in addition hold Tu/Th 4-5pm open specifically for remote office hours.

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)