[Lingtyp] Igor Nedjalkov (1951-2021)

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Wed Mar 31 10:58:39 UTC 2021

Igor V. Nedjalkov (1951-2021)

With great sadness I report the passing of Igor' Vladimirovič Nedjalkov
(Игорь Владимирович Недялков), a senior scientist at the Institute of
Linguistic Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences and a professor
at Saint Petersburg State University, on March 28.

Nedjalkov was best-known internationally from his grammar of the
Tungusic language Evenki (Routledge 1997), but he has long been
interested in typological aspects of the grammar of Eurasian languages.

The 1987 paper "On the typological characteristics of converbs" (V.
Nedjalkov & I. Nedjalkov) was of seminal importance, and provided the
immediate impetus for the 1995 volume (Haspelmath & König (eds.)
/Converbs in cross-linguistic perspectice/), to which Igor contributed a
paper on converbs in Evenki.

Nedjalkov was born in Stavropol and first studied English philology at
Pyatigorsk Pedagogical Institute, before finishing his Ph.D. in
Leningrad in 1977, on participles in the Tungusic languages. He worked
as a professor of English at Bryansk Pedagogical Institute until 1985,
when he transferred to Leningrad/Saint Petersburg and began focusing
fully on eastern Eurasian languages and typological questions.

His articles include work on Karachay-Balkar, Kalmyk, Orok, Oroch,
Chukchi, Evenki, Nivkh, Mongolian, Manchu, Negidal, and Yakut, as well
as many comparative works on Tungusic and Altaic languages.

In the early 1990s, he was a participant of the EUROTYP group on
adverbial constructions (led by Johan van der Auwera), contributing a
chapter on converbs in the languages of Europe
(https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110802610.421). Subsequently he was a
visiting researcher in Antwerp, Leipzig, Pavia and elsewhere. Our 2010
volume /Studies in ditransitive constructions/ contains a chapter on
ditransitives in Tungusic languages by Andrej Malchukov and Igor
Nedjalkov (https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110220377.316)

Igor V. Nedjalkov was the son of the typologist Vladimir P. Nedjalkov
(1928-2009).

Martin Haspelmath

P.S. Much of the information in this obituary comes from Nedjalkov's web
page: https://iling.spb.ru/grammatikon/pers_ned.html

--
Martin Haspelmath
Deutscher Platz 6