[Lingtyp] A list of 50 basic sentences

Broadwell,George Aaron broadwell at ufl.edu
Sat May 8 15:11:54 UTC 2021

Hi Ian,

Possibly you'll encounter a problem with this group

  1.  I have a dog
  2.  I have two dogs
  3.  I have many dogs

As you probably know, expression of possessive sentences can be very complex cross-linguistically.

In Choctaw, for example, 'dog' will be the subject of a verb like 'exist' or 'stand' and the verb will supplete to show its number. Both the possessor and possessee can be marked nominative.  E.g.

John-at      ofi-yat      im-a̱tta-h
John-nom dog-nom 3dat-exist:sg-tns
’John has a dog.’

These are some of the most complicated sentence types in Choctaw.  I think if someone who did not know much about the lg elicited these as part of 50 basic sentences, their grammar would be quite hard to understand.

If you’re looking for simple examples of sg/du/pl contrasts, I would avoid the verb 'have'.

Aaron B.

George Aaron Broadwell, broadwell at ufl.edu<mailto:broadwell at ufl.edu>  [Pronouns: he/him/his]
Elling Eide Professor | University Term Professor (2018-2021)
Associate Chair,
Dept. of Anthropology, University of Florida
Turlington Hall, Room B364
PO Box 117305 Gainesville, FL 32611
352-294-7598
Copala Triqui dictionary: http://copalatriqui.webonary.org/