[Lingtyp] A list of 50 basic sentences

Sandra Auderset sandrauderset at gmail.com
Sun May 9 07:25:07 UTC 2021

Hi Ian,

Following up on Hartmut, Yunfan and others, I have some questions:
What do you do with variation? I’m not familiar with the languages you work on, but ’Tense Future’ in German could be translated as “Ich werde morgen gehen” or “Ich gehe morgen”. The latter would be more frequent in spoken language, but you might get the former because of translation bias. Would you include both? You say that your method accounts for the choice of the speaker, but again I wonder if this isn’t just translation bias.
You say that this method has the advantage of including more frequently observed features. I wonder how you know whether that’s the case or not? Do you mean in spoken or written language? As Yunfan pointed out, with 50 sentences you might easily miss some common features.
How do you standardize the glosses? For example, how do you decide whether something should be glossed as ‘be’ or copula? That seems important to me, since glossing is very subjective and you might inadvertendly bias the whole calculation. Especially since you already wrote up the conclusion.
Lastly, I find it odd that Example 2) is calculated as having distance 1. To me, there are two differences: presence/absence of nominative and the presence/absence of a copula. How do you determine that the copula is in the same slot as the nominative for calculation?

Best,
Sandra

—
Sandra Auderset (https://sauderset.github.io/)
PhD Candidate | [she/her]
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
MPI for Evolutionary Anthropology
&
Department of Linguistics
University of California Santa Barbara