[Lingtyp] A list of 50 basic sentences

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Sun May 9 09:55:17 UTC 2021

Dear Ian,
there are a few other existing projects of that sort, e.g. in
dialectology (e.g. the 'Wenker questionnaires').

I think such a project, if carried out today, should be based on a solid
theoretical as well as methodological foundation. How do you represent
sentence meanings and linguistic items expressing these meanings without
creating a translation bias? By using multimodal stimuli perhaps? I do
not think that glosses are appropriate representations of form-meaning
mapping; they are good old items-and-arrangement morphology, which is
known to be inappropriate for many languages; and edit distance is
probably not a good way of measuring similarities between glosses, as
has been pointed out.

I sympathize with the idea of your project, and some of us have in fact
been involved in projects of this type, as pointed out by Martin. My
advice would be to think this through before you start gathering data,
and to make sure that it meets state-of-the-art standards in theoretical
and methodological terms. Linguistic structure is better represented in
network models, not as linear sequences of morph(eme)s. Interestingly,
this insight has been arrived at from two different angles
independently, from a methodological one (e.g. in annotation practice)
and from a theoretical point of view (see Holger Diessel's [2019] book
'The Grammar Network'). Note also that there have been recent advances
in what we might call 'comparative NLP', with the UD Treebank as a
prominent representative. You could get some inspiration from that
angle, too (for instance, languages may exhibit similar types of
dependency structures with different types of ordering relations).

Best,
Volker