[Lingtyp] Fwd: terminological question about intransitive verbs

Marianne Mithun mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Wed May 12 15:36:10 UTC 2021

There are also the simple Agent/Patient and Active/Stative, which refer to
systems that are similar up to a point but not identical. The first
distinguishes control/volition/affecteness, etc. while the second
distinguishes events from states. This was discussed in

Mithun, Marianne.  1991. Active/Agentive case marking and its motivations.
*Language* 67: 510-546, Reprinted 2019 in a Special Issue on Indigenous
languages: 20th century perspectives.

Marianne