[Lingtyp] My new book and other issues

Alexandra Aikhenvald a.y.aikhenvald at live.com
Wed May 26 06:21:27 UTC 2021

Dear colleagues

I would like to share with you all my new general-interest book, I saw the dog: how language works (Profile books) - see the attached flyer and one of the reviews. The book is available on Amazon.com, and can be used for introductory courses in  linguistics/

-  https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/i-saw-a-dog-an-ode-to-languages-and-the-intricacies-of-communication-1.4522211
[https://www.irishtimes.com/image-creator/?id=1.4522210&origw=1440]<https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/i-saw-a-dog-an-ode-to-languages-and-the-intricacies-of-communication-1.4522211>
I Saw a Dog: An ode to languages and the intricacies of communication<https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/i-saw-a-dog-an-ode-to-languages-and-the-intricacies-of-communication-1.4522211>
I Saw a Dog: An ode to languages and the intricacies of communication. Book review: Alexandra Aikhenvald’s breadth of linguistic knowledge fills this study with fascinating nuggets of information
www.irishtimes.com


Some of the content of the book was presented in an interview to ABC Radio National Late Line last night -

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/alexandra-aikhenvald:-one-womans-quest-to-preserve-endangered/13355840

[https://www.abc.net.au/cm/rimage/13355846-16x9-large.jpg?v=4]<https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/alexandra-aikhenvald:-one-womans-quest-to-preserve-endangered/13355840>
Alexandra Aikhenvald: one woman's quest to preserve endangered languages - Late Night Live - ABC Radio National<https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/alexandra-aikhenvald:-one-womans-quest-to-preserve-endangered/13355840>
Alexandra Aikhenvald has devoted a lifetime of fieldwork to documenting minority languages, travelling from the swamplands of Papua New Guinea to a remote village in Brazilian Amazonia. She tells ...
www.abc.net.au


Also available at https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/rn/podcast/2021/05/lnl_20210525_2240.mp3

I would also like to let you-all know that the former Language and Culture Research Centre is undergoing what they call restructure. Bob Dixon and myself have removed ourselves from this and have nothing to do with what is there now.

Best wishes

Sasha

Warning notice! It has been brought to my attention that a particular person (who calls himself a linguist) has been spreading defamatory rumours and malicious gossip about me. Not to be believed. If you hear from him, could you let me know.

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA, FQAAS

Distinguished Professor and Australian Laureate Fellow

Foundation Director of the Language and Culture Research Centre (James Cook University)

Consultant, OED (South American languages)

phone 61-400305315

http://www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com/

https://research.jcu.edu.au/researchatjcu/research/lcrc

alternative e-mail: nyamamayratakw at gmail.com, goldagorb at yahoo.com

Serial Verbs                  The Oxford Handbook of Evidentiality

By Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald                                              Edited By Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald

Now available from Oxford University Press<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/serial-verbs-9780198791263?cc=au&lang=en&>                 Now available from Oxford University Press<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-evidentiality-9780198759515?cc=au&lang=en&>

[Sig1]<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/serial-verbs-9780198791263?cc=au&lang=en&>            [Sig2] <https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-evidentiality-9780198759515?cc=au&lang=en&>

My new book is https://profilebooks.com/work/i-saw-the-dog<https://profilebooks.com/work/i-saw-the-dog/>.