[Lingtyp] Grammaticalization of 1SG verb forms

Riccardo Giomi rgiomi at campus.ul.pt
Sun Nov 14 21:27:33 UTC 2021

Dear Aigul,

A very interesting topic. I am not entirely sure this fits into the type of
phenomena you are looking for, but as I read your inquiry I am reminded of
the grammaticalization of cleft(-like) constructions which, as Hengeveld
(1992: 280) puts it, "can now be interpreted as a clever means of
introducing a dummy auxiliary which is capable of carrying its own tense,
mood, aspect, and polarity operators, thus creating a versatile auxiliary
predication type". Below is one of the examples given by the author, from
Imbabura Quechua, where a third person singular copula unexpectedly (from a
synchronic point of view) co-occurs with a first personl plural subject.

[image: immagine.png]
Ref.: Hengeveld, Kees (1992), *Non-verbal predication: Theory, typology,
diachrony. *Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

Hope this helps, cheers,
Riccardo

--