[Lingtyp] Folk definition of “word”

fcosw5 fcosw5 at scu.edu.tw
Fri Nov 26 07:22:49 UTC 2021

As far as I can tell, Chinese has two terms, one meaning roughly 'morpheme' and the other meaning roughly 'word'.  Part of the problem is, at least in Mandarin Chinese they are *very similar* in pronunciation!

'zi' means, more or less literally, what in English is usually referred to as a 'character' in the Hanzi writing system.  It is always a single syllable; in almost all cases, it corresponds to a single morpheme, in the more-or-less strict linguistic sense.

'ci' refers to a commonly-occurring combination of two (perhaps occasionally 3?) 'zi', which combination has a distinctive meaning, and therefore corresponds fairly closely to what we would consider a (multimorphemic) word.

'zi' is BY FAR the more commonly-used term in ordinary usage.  I have found that when I try (in *spoken* Chinese) to use 'ci', my students almost always mishear this as 'zi'.

Best,
Steven