[Lingtyp] Folk definition of “word”

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Nov 26 11:02:23 UTC 2021

Ian, actually I would say that the emergence of spaces is neither
necessary nor sufficient as evidence for wordhood:  it's not sufficient
because orthographies make use of many conventions lacking any kind of
grammatical reality — consider, for example, English digraphs such as
<sh> and <th>.  Still, as argued in Gil (2020), naturalistically
emerging orthographies *can*, albeit with caution, be used as a
potential source of evidence for grammatical structures.

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de